This Mother’s day I decided that I wanted to make gifts for the two most important mama’s in my life, my Mama, and my sister who has very recently become a new mama to a very sweet little man!
Since my sister has her hands full with tending to her little one, and my mama is always running around town with little desire to make her own meals (that’s Papa Bear’s job), I decided on something simple that makes for a quick, healthy breakfast – granola of course!
Paired with some almond milk or some plain Greek yogurt (which is higher in protein than regular yogurt), this granola contains a good amount of fibre and good fats to keep the belly happy all morning.
The recipe is included below and it is quite simple. The beauty of this recipe is that you really can make it your own by using whatever nuts, seeds you have on hand.
4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups puffed rice, kamut or millet (I used puffed rice to keep it gluten free)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- Preheat the oven to 300′.
- Mix oats, puffed rice, coconut, walnuts, sunflower seeds and sea salt together in a large bowl.
- Mix maple syrup and coconut oil together in a small saucepan and heat on low heat until the coconut oil melts.
- Mix the coconut oil and maple syrup mixture in with the dry ingredients and mix together until everything is coated.
- Spread the granola mixture out evenly over two large baking dishes.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove and stir before baking for an additional 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Stir in ground flaxseed and cranberries.
- Store in airtight container.