Last week I did a live talk in Toronto at The Big Carrot all about Spring Detoxing. It went great, but, If I’m being honest, I’ll admit that I was slightly surprised by the number of people who actually showed up! It was a beautiful evening which I assumed would mean people would rather stay at home with their BBQ’s and bevy of choice rather then attend a live nutrition talk. The huge turn out, paired with the crazy number of questions that I received after the talk really made me believe that this is a topic of interest (#amIright?!). Of course, for those of you who weren’t able to make it, I want to share the information with you too!
The following is a simplified, 101 version of my talk “Spring Cleansing to Thrive and Glow”. I hope you find it helpful and if you’re thinking that you may be up for a little detox yourself, make sure that you read all the way to the end for my special offer on my new and improved, personalized 10 DAY SPRING DETOX!
Do I need to detox?
So, you may be thinking “Do I really need to detox?” Maybe you’ve heard or read mixed reviews about whether or not detoxing is healthy, safe, or even provides the benefits that it says it does.
I get you. It’s confusing. In fact, nutrition information in general is damn, confusing! Lets demystify.
The truth is that our bodies are amazing machines that is build to detox itself every single day. In fact, during the Spring, the body naturally and intuitively pays special attention to supporting it’s liver and gall bladder without any help from us (how cool is that!).
When I use the terms ‘detox’ or ‘cleanse’ it really is just a fancy way of saying that we’ll be spending a few consecutive days ‘supporting our natural pathways of elimination’ (via the removal of inflammatory substances with a period of focus on some mega nutritional nourishment). Truth is that the term ‘detox’ or ‘cleanse’ just sounds a lot catchier then the later.
We want to ‘detox’ every now and then because our precious little bodies can only handle so much accumulation of gunk. Each and every day a burden is added to the body by way of:
- Unhealthy foods that cause inflammation (sugar, dairy, gluten, alcohol, caffeine etc.)
- Environmental pollution
- Food toxins and preservatives
- Chemicals from beauty products + cleaning products
- And so much more…
It’s nice to give our bodies a little break from all of this!
So what does it mean to ‘support the natural pathways of elimination?’
We have 5 organs that are responsible for elimination and they include the:
- Skin (the largest organ)
- Lymphatic System
- Liver (mega important for removal of toxins)
Each one of these organs has a very specific role in working to rid toxins inside your body. The cool thing is that though some simple dietary and lifestyle changes we can have a huge impact in terms of how efficient these organs work!
Practical Detox Tips & Suggestion
The most important thing we want to consider when we think about in relation to the diet is that we want to remove the inflammatory foods:
- Trans Fats
- Processed Foods
We also really want to focus in on the liver, the main organ of detoxification in the body, by supporting it with liver-loving foods and herbs. Some of the best include:
- Dandelion greens
- Dandelion & Nettle Tea
There are quite a few daily habits you can incorporate to support the organs of elimination, and truthfully you can do them everyday, not just when you are on a detox or cleanse! My favourites include:
- Sweating & Sauna (make sure you rinse off in cold water immediately afterwards)
- Drinking Water (1/2 body lb in oz per day and lemon water in the morning before breakfast)
- Schedule R&R (sleep, epsom bath, yoga, massage etc.)
- Yoga Inversions/ Twists
- Dry Skin Brushing (read this post on reasons to dry skin brush and how to do it)
Skincare & Personal Care
Ok, this one is a huge one for me! If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll now that I’m pretty much obsessed with all natural skincare and beauty products. The thing you must know is that your skin is your largest organ, (also an organ largely responsible for detoxification) and whatever you put on your skin goes in your skin! If you care about eating organic, non toxin laden foods then you must care about using products without nasty chemicals too! Our bodies have never gotten to the point where we have actually evolved adaptive measures to protect toxins from not being absorbed in the skin. The concern is that many of the traditional beauty and cosmetics that you may have in your bathroom and make up bag contain chemicals that disrupt your hormones, cause free radical damage (premature aging) and get this – some may even be carcinogenic! (I’ll be writing a lot more about this topic in other posts, but the truth is that these products are unregulated and are often very harmful so its a great idea to start paying attention to whats in your products!).
My best tips for cleaning out your make up bag is to check out this website:
All you need to do is enter a product that you currently use and it gives you a rating scale of 1-10 based on how toxic the ingredients are. My suggestion is to then replace products with a more natural option as you run out of them one at a time.
You can also always contact me if you’d like some guidance on what to purchase!
Last but not least, I strongly suggest that you consider what areas in your diet are lacking and where a supplement can be supportive. The truth is that supplements are ‘supplementary’ to a healthy diet but they can have a major impact on how you look & feel, especially if you’re low in certain nutrients. With supplements it is also extremely important to ensure the quality and purity, not all supplements are created equally and many will just leave you with expensive pee!
Supplements are based on the individual and their needs, but some of my favourites include a
- greens food powder like Genuine Health’s greens+ (for an antioxidant boost)
So, if all that information has left you feeling like you could use a little Spring Detox, good news is that I’ve got one ready for you!
My new 10 DAY SPRING DETOX is for you if you are low on energy, bloated, want to lose a few pounds, or feel like your skin is looking a little dull.
It is about giving your body some love so that after 10 days you feel…
- Refreshed, reenergized and grounded in healthier habits.With less bloat, you’ll also feel lighter and more confidant (your jeans will fit better too!).
- Committing to the 10 days will you help to get yourself on track with healthier habits and help to reduce your caffeine, sugar and carb cravings!
- On the 10 DAY SPRING DETOX you will follow a super simple + tasty 10 day meal plan. You’ll be eating whole foods free of gluten, dairy and added sugar – and no, there will not be any juicing, supplements or starvation!!
The challenge also includes taking a break from caffeine and alcohol to help your body ‘reset’ and give you back your glow!
The 10 DAY SPRING DETOX includes:
- 1 x 30 minute personalized consultation with Michelle before you begin your cleanse
- Unlimited support via email throughout the 10 days to answer all of your questions during the cleanse
- Full, 10 day detox meal plan (dairy, sugar, gluten free + mainly vegetarian meals with option of meat/fish)
- Full grocery shopping guide explaining exactly which brands and foods to purchase and where to get them
- Full program manual + daily emails loaded with information and tips on how to feel amazing during the detox!
- If you sign up before June 10th you’ll receive a ‘DETOX SUPPORT KIT’ ($30 value) sent directly to your home!
The cost of the personalized detox program, complete with personalized support from Holistic Nutritionist Michelle Tirmandi is $150.
Simply click below and you’ll receive and email from Michelle within 24 hours to set up your 30 minute consultation where you’ll receive your personalized 10 Day Detox plan.
You can also email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org