As I sit here in cold, wintery Toronto writing this blog post, my lucky husband is sitting on the beach in Cabo, Mexico. I’m not going to lie, I am a little envious, but instead of wishing I was there with him, I decided instead to enjoy my extra solo time and cook up some simple, healthy Mexican-inspired fare, Burrito Bowls!
Simple, Healthy & Tasty Burrito Bowl
This deliciously simple recipe took only 30 minutes to make start to finish, including the cooking time for the rice. And, if that isn’t reason enough to give it a try, I will let you know that it’s colourful, plant-based ingredients are filled with phytonutrient power!
- Black Beans: contain fibre, folate (mega important for mamas-to-be), and a decent amount of protein to help with blood sugar stabilization.
- Cilantro: contains a high amount of antioxidants (required for healthy, glowing skin) and also acts as a natural cleansing agent, specifically binding to heavy metals and helping them to be removed from the tissues.
- Tomatoes: a very rich source of antioxidants including Lycopene and Vitamin C (the precursor to collagen production). They also contain Vitamin A which helps to keep your hair shiny and strong.
- Avocados: an excellent source of good fats, as well as folate, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and fibre (a major pregnancy power food!).
- Bell Peppers: an excellent source of carotenoids, which help to protect the skin, tissue and cells from environmental toxins and disease.
- Brown Rice: contains fibre (important for natural detoxification) as well as the beautifying & anti-cancerous antioxidant, Selenium.
For the Burrito Bowl:
- 1 Cup Brown Rice (I used a Basmati Brown & Wild Rice blend by Floating Leaf)
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 15oz Can Black Beans (I used Eden Organics)
- 1 Cup Corn (non GMO)
- 1 Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 Large Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 – 2 large avocados, cubed
- 1 Medium White Onion, chopped
- 1 Medium Red Pepper, sliced
- 1 Medium Orange Pepper, sliced
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, sliced
- 1 Cup Organic Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
For the Seasoning Mix:
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Add 1 cup rice and 2 cups water to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, chop the onions and peppers.
- Chop tomatoes, avocado , cilantro, set aside.
- Shred the cheese, set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp coconut oil to a pan over medium heat and sauté the onions for 4-5 minutes. Add the peppers and stir together.
- Add all of the spices together and stir in to the onion and pepper mixture, continuing string for another few minutes until everything is well mixed.
- Heat the corn and beans in a separate pan.
- Once the rice is cooked add all ingredients together and enjoy!